Monday, July 23, 2012

Lentils with Summer Vegetables



Greetings! First thing, I am so excited to be Foodista's Food Blog of the Day. They are highlighting my Coconut Chicken Fingers and I am so honored to be chosen. Foodista is an incredible space for foodies and I am thrilled. Head on over there and check out some of the amazing recipes, news and food features, like this guide to making lobster rolls.

I am on a lentil binge these last few weeks. After the yummy lentil cakes last week I decided I need more lentils in my life! Craig and I hit the farmer's market on Saturday, where I picked up some tasty eggplant, zucchini, carrots and cauliflower. These beautiful summer veggies inspired me to create a tasty lentil salad that would be healthy and hearty.

My original plan was to grill the veggies and then chop them up and toss them in a salad with some lentils. Unfortunately, the weather did not agree, so I threw them in the oven instead. I'm glad I did, because instead of smoky barbecue flavor, these veggies got incredibly sweet and crisp. For flavor, I tossed them with a light splash of balsamic.

I used french lentils (also called puy). I chose these because they are smaller and retain their shape better while cooking. To finish off the salad, I added some yummy fresh herbs and tomatoes from my garden! I am SO EXCITED to start harvesting and eating the crops we've been working so hard on for the past few months. I took a bunch of garden picks and will update you all later this week.

Here's what I picked:



Full recipe after the jump



Ingredients:
French or Puy lentils
low sodium veggie broth
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1" cubes
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1" cubes
1 medium bulb of fennel, halved and cut into 1" chunks (reserve fronds)
4 large carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise and cut into 1" chunks
1 head of cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
2 bell peppers, washed, seeded and cut into 1" chunks
salt and pepper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
fresh parsley
fresh basil
handful of cherry tomatoes
optional: goat cheese




Instructions:
1. Cook lentils in veggie broth according to package directions, cool and set aside
2. Preheat oven to 425 (veggies can also be grilled)
3. Toss veggies with olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper
4. Roast veggies 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently. When finished, they should be slighly browned
5. Toss veggies with lentils
6. Mix together 1 tbsp balsamic with dijon and honey
7. Toss salad with dressing and allow to cool
8. Serve cooled salad with chopped cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and parsley
9. Optional: garnish with 1/2 oz crumbled goat cheese

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At July 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

Congratulations on your feature!

 
At July 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

This looks really delicious! I had roasted eggplant and lentils (plus quinoa) for dinner last night, which was very tasty, but not nearly as mouth-watering as your dish looks! Your tomatoes and herbs look wonderful :)

 
At July 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

What an honour my friend, big congratulations :D
Your lentil dish looks superb too!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

 
At July 25, 2012 at 12:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fresh and summery!

 
At July 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never think of lentils as a way to showcase summer veggies - great idea!

 
At July 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM , Blogger CakeWhiz said...

Congrats on being Foodista's blog of the day!!!!
I make lentils usually in indian style which is eaten with rice so it's more liquidy. But, this salad type version is a nice change! It looks like it's bursting wth flavor :D
- abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

 
At July 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

Yay, congrats on being foodista's food blog of the day!! and yay for harvesting your own veggies and herbs, that is so awesome! and the salad looks soooo good, love all those roasted veggies!

 
At July 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Woe, this is one of the most tempting lentil dishes I've ever seen! I love it!

 
At July 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

This looks so fresh and delish! Congrats on your foodista feature!

I've never made lentils into a salad before, it always looks so good but I've always just stuck to soups, definitely need to try, this looks reallyyyyy good Dara!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 3:28 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Congratulations, Dara! lentils and veggies are a great combination. :)

 
At August 2, 2012 at 3:18 AM , Blogger Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Congratulations on Foodista's feature Dara! My family (husband and kids) don't eat lentils...so I only enjoy looking at lentils on food blogs or at restaurant. Looks delicious!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home