Sunday, July 15, 2012

Lentil Cakes



Craig specifically requested I make lentil cakes today. I am happy to oblige, especially because I love lentils and enjoy coming up with new Meatless Monday recipes. These lentil cakes are really simple and inexpensive to make, but SO filling. The whole recipe could not be easier - you just cook the lentils with some veggies and flavorings and then shape them into patties and bake. I've also cooked these in a cast iron skillet, which works great as well.

This meal proved to be a wonderful healthy detox after a very indulgent weekend. Craig and I attended a wedding on Saturday that had the most amazing food. We both overate a lot of yummy food, so it felt good to have something hearty and simple.

Lentils are filled with fiber, iron and B vitamins. Additionally, they have the highest percentage of protein by weight of any play based food. Lentils are commonly enjoyed in soups and stews, but I like to add them to all kinds of things. I forgot to mention they are naturally low in calories! One serving, which is approximately two lentil cakes, has only 197 calories, 12 grams of protein and 13 grams of fiber!

I served these with some spicy ketchup, which is just equal parts ketchup and sriracha sauce. I think you could serve these with a number of condiments, but this was super simple and tasty.

Read more for the full recipe!







Ingredients:
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 carrots, diced
1.5 cups lentils, rinsed
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp sriracha sauce (or hot sauce)
3 cups of low sodium veggie broth
1.5 cups of kale, stems removed and chopped into tiny pieces
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
olive oil spray

Step by Step Instructions:
1. In a large pot, saute onion, pepper, jalapeno, garlic and carrot in olive oil on med heat
2. When veggies are softened (8-10 minutes), add lentils and stir
3. Add tomato paste, vinegar, sriracha, and broth
4. Cover and bring to a boil
5. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed
6. Stir in kale and flour
7. Preheat oven to 375
8. Allow lentils to cool for 15-20 minutes (must be cool enough to handle)
9. Using your hands, shape the lentil mixture into patties. I made mine approximately the size of hockey pucks.
10. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes until lightly browned.
11. Allow to set for 10 minutes and serve with spicy ketchup

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At July 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

These little lentil cakes look delicious and healthy, I would love them in a burger :D
Thank you!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

 
At July 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Stephie said...

Hmmm, I have been looking for things to do with lentils recently (I bought a bag without really knowing what to do with them). I may have to give these a try!

 
At July 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Oh wow, these look fantastic. You make healthy look appealing, even to a lunatic.

 
At July 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM , Blogger Medeja- CranberryJam said...

What kind of lentils did you use? They look like a really great thing for meatless days :)

 
At July 16, 2012 at 8:50 AM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Great question! I used green and red lentils, because I had some on hand. Any variety would work well.

 
At July 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Your lentil cakes look simple and delicious. What a great way to eat right after an indulgent weekend!

 
At July 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE lentil cakes and this looks like a great recipe for them!

 
At July 17, 2012 at 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, these lentil cakes sound delicious. And they look great!

 
At July 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

hmm. i'm not generally into the whole legume family, but i might be willing to try these with that spicy ketchup :)

 
At July 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Wow! What a healthy and delicious recipe! These really do look fantastic. :)

 
At July 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These sound fantastic! Thanks for sharing your yummy creation. :)

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home