Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Grilled Sweet Potatoes


For my Lamb Cookout last weekend I wanted to make a healthy and tasty side dish that could be thrown on the grill. I settled on tasty sweet potato wedges that would compliment the complex flavors of the lamb and provide a high fiber side dish.

This recipe is extremely simple. After cutting the sweet potatoes into uniform sized wedges, I par boiled them quickly to start to cook them and then finished them off on the grill. Brush them with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper and you can throw them right on. I added some lime juice and a garnish of fresh cilantro to incorporate the Thai flavors, but lemon, garlic and parsley would be tasty as well.

Read more for the full recipe!




Ingredients:
1.5lbs sweet potatoes, washed (approx 2 medium sized)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 limes, 1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, washed
salt and pepper



Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cut potatoes into long wedges, approximately 1-2" wide
2. In a large stockpot, add potato wedges and 1 quart of water, bring to a boil and boil potatoes for 4-5 minutes.
3. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside
4. Heat a charcoal or gas grill to med-high heat
5. Brush sweet potatoes with olive oil and lime juice and season with salt and pepper
6. Grill for 7-8 minutes on each side, until slightly charred and cooked through. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the wedges.
7. Serve warm with chopped cilantro and lime wedges

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At July 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our condo's grill deck hasn't opened because of construction. I can't wait to grill some sweet potatoes like these!

 
At July 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

I like simple side dishes!

 
At July 18, 2012 at 6:31 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Simple and easy! That's how cooking every meal should be ;)

 
At July 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Ooh, yum! I LOVE sweet potatoes, and these wedges look really tasty. Definitely will have to try this out! I've only ever made sweet potato fries/ wedges in the oven, but I love making baked sweet potatoes on the grill!

 
At July 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM , Blogger inês do crasto said...

These potatos look beautiful and delicious :) I liked them very much!

 
At July 19, 2012 at 5:48 AM , Blogger Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Can never go wrong with sweet potatoes my friend, this looks delicious :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

 
At July 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Mmmmm...this is the only way I can get my family to eat sweet potatoes. I love the flavors you've added!

 
At July 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

sweet potatoes are one of the few foods our little guy actually eats - we will have to make this soon!

 
At July 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Peggy G. said...

These sweet potatoes look awesome! Definitely going to have to do this next time I have some in the house =)

 
At July 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM , Blogger The Three Little Piglets said...

That sounds so good right now! Only it's the middle of the night and I have neither sweet potatoes nor a grill to make them on... Total bummer!

 
At July 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

These look so incredible. Love that you did them on the grill. Whoo hoo for girls grilling.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home