Monday, June 25, 2012

Green Rice (Arroz Verde)



For our Mexican feast this Saturday, I made some tasty and tangy green poblano rice, called arroz verde in Spanish, to accompany the pork chops. This is a simple dish that combines lots of fresh healthy veggies and herbs with spicy poblano pepper and rice. It makes a lovely accompaniment for grilled meats.

Poblanos are large, mild peppers, somewhere between a bell pepper and a jalepeno on the spicy scale. They add an intensity and heat to the dish without too much spice. Combined with cooling herbs, in this case cilantro and mint, it adds a lot of flavor to this simple dish.

There are many ways to make this dish, and you can use a number of different herbs, types of rice, or veggies to make it your own. I used the various things I had just grabbed at the farmers market: spinach, spring onions, baby leeks, cilantro and mint. But parsley and basil can also add some fabulous flavors. I made a big batch of this planning for some leftovers and I have not been disappointed. I brought some cold for lunch today and it was fantastic. I think next time I may add some nuts for crunch.

Have you entered my giveaway yet? Ends Wednesday at 5pm EST. Click here to enter!

Read more for the full recipe!


Note: The amount of liquid needed is wholly dependent on the type of rice you use. I use the slow cooking kind, so this amount of liquid is appropriate. If you're going with different types of rice, add the veggie broth 1/2 cup at a time to make sure you don't add too much liquid.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 leek, washed, greens removed and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups fresh spinach, washed
1 poblano pepper, washed and seeded

2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 tbsp fresh mint
1/2 cup water
1 cup of rice (I used 1/2 cup brown, and 1/4 cup each wild and basamati)
2 cups low sodium veggie broth
2 tbsp lime juice (approx 1/2 lime)


Step by Step Instructions:
1. In a large saucepan, saute onion, leek and garlic in olive oil 3-4 minutes, until softened
2. In a food processor, combine spinach, poblano, cilantro, mint and water, puree until smooth
3. Add rice to pot, add spinach puree, lime juice and veggie broth
4. Bring to a boil
5. Cover and reduce heat to med-low
6. Simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked 30-40 minutes, depending on the type of rice you use.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At June 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

A nice accompaniment to your pork chops. The simmering time seems a little long but I'm assuming it's with the other ingredients...Nice!

 
At June 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM , Blogger inês do crasto said...

Yummy! Delicious :) Maybe I'll try this one tomorrow ;)

 
At June 25, 2012 at 11:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like a delicious side dish to your chops!

 
At June 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks pretty and delicious! What a great rice!

 
At June 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Maureen said...

Please can I have some of this?? It sounds so good! I've never made anything like this but I want to.

 
At June 26, 2012 at 9:48 AM , Blogger mgfrederic said...

this looks really good and healthy :)

 
At June 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM , Blogger DeniseB said...

This sounds so good! I never thought about adding spinach to green rice but it sure fits and adds extra nutrition!

 
At June 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM , Blogger Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I have never heard of green rice till now but boy do I regret it! This looks fabulous :D

Cheers
CCU

 
At June 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM , Blogger gastronomic nomad said...

Oh rice...how I love thee in all your ways. Especially in this gorgeous arroz verde! Beautiful color.

 
At June 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great, versatile side! And I looove poblanos...

 
At June 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Wow! This must have made for quite the treat for your mexican night! Must try your recipe soon.

 
At June 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

holy cow - that is some flavorful rice! sounds delicious!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home