Sunday, June 24, 2012

Chili Brined Pork Chops with Cilantro Vinagrette



Craig is the official Grillmaster in our home. He calls prepping, lighting, and cooking on the grill his "man time" and he usually spends this time with a beer in hand. Anyway, Craig has been bugging me about grilling pork lately. We've grilled pretty much everything else, so it seemed about time to try this. I got some great bone in pork loin chops and decided to do a Mexican style brine with beer! I love to cook with beer, it's very underrated. With so many different types and tastes, it's a versatile ingredient that can really enhance a dish.

Brining is the process by which meat is soaked in a saltwater based mixture before cooking. It enhances flavor and tenderness while reducing cooking times. You can use a number of different things to brine. Anything from plain old saltwater to a more complex recipe will yield great results. This is a really simple brine that uses beer as a liquid base. I combined this with chilies and garlic for flavor and some acidity to help tenderize the meat. Generally, you can brine large cuts of meats for up to 24 hours. I would recommend brining these for at least 2, but as much as you can. I left mine for about 6 hours and they were juicy and tasty.

After all the time prepping and brining these chops, a crazy thunder storm rolled in just as we were about to light the grill. So I ended up cooking these in my cast iron skillet, which means I'll have to make them again so Craig can finally grill himself a pork chop.

Full recipe after the jump!




Ingredients:
4 bone in pork loin chops

Brine:
2 jalepenos
1 habanero
4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup Mexican beer (I used Modelo Especial but Corona can work as well)

Vinaigrette:
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil

Directions:
1. In a food processor, combine all brine ingredients
2. In a large freezer bag, place chops and cover with brine. Seal and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
3. Remove chops, disgard liquid
4. Grill or broil chops to desired level on doneness
5. In a food processor, combine vinaigrette ingredients
6. Serve pork chops drizzled with 1 tbsp vinaigrette

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At June 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

I'm a little surprised brining pork chops isn't more popular. I discovered this was possible when I first prepared Tyler Florence's recipe which has since become my favorite pork chops recipe. Your's looks good too, and I hope you get outside to grill 'em soon!

 
At June 25, 2012 at 12:47 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Those look tasty! Have to try brining pork chops!!

 
At June 25, 2012 at 1:02 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

I made some soy maple pork chops yesterday but I'd love to try out your recipe. I still have a few left in the freezer! :)

 
At June 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Too bad about the thunder storm, but your pork chops look great!

 
At June 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Kate from Scratch said...

These look fantastic! Definitely a keeper recipe. Beer brined pork never fails.

 
At June 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

ok, those are some fantastic pork chops! definitely putting this on the menu next time we grill!

 
At June 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love pork chops and that brine reads super flavoursome and delicious... a must try. Bookmarking it.

Averil

 
At June 25, 2012 at 10:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. These chops look simply fantastic.

 
At June 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I thought this looked good to begin with, but seeing the habaneros, I must now try it. absolutely!

 
At June 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Sandra Lee said...

These babies have a little bite to them! My grillmaster is going to love this one also.

 
At June 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a dish i'm going to be having when my husband (non pork eater) doesn't come home for dinner. Yay on your top 9!

 
At June 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Geri Saucier said...

These pork chops look and sound delicious;) With summer being grilling time at our house these pork chops are a must make. Thanks for the post.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home