Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Rainbow Peanut Slaw


So ya'll know my feelings about farmer's markets. Two weeks ago I had the wonderful opportunity to visit the market with Craig's mom, and we had a great time. In addition to all the wonderful goodies we picked up, I grabbed some sweet green cabbage. It has a unique shape, sort of like a tulip. The farmer's explained it was a sweet heirloom variety. I am not sure of the official name, but it was sooo delicious!

Anyway, after returning home with a ton of goodies it seemed necessary to immediately make a tasty slaw. Because I hate mayo, I decided to do a Thai inspired peanut slaw, using all the tasty veggies I grabbed at the farmer's market. I combined cabbage, bok choy, radishes, carrots with some fresh herbs. It was simple, flavorful and delicious. As a bonus, the peanut dressing is extremely filling.

It turned out so well I decided to make it again for our cookout this weekend. It was the perfect compliment to my Thai lamb kabobs.

Read more for the full recipe!


Ingredients: Serves 4
3 cups green cabbage, washed and shredded
2 heads of baby bok choy
6-8 radishes, halved and sliced
2 carrots, julienned or shredded
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
2 tbsp fresh basil
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped

Dressing:
1/4 cup natural peanut butter (preferably unsalted)
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
1 clove of garlic
1" fresh ginger (or 1.5 tsp ground)
2 tbsp fresh cilantro

Instructions:
1. Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl
2. Using a food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and puree
3. Toss salad with dressing. Because the dressing is so thick, this may take a bit of effort
4. Serve topped with crushed peanuts!

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At July 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM , Blogger Medeja- CranberryJam said...

The peanut sauce sounds just amazing!

 
At July 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

This sounds great for warm weather!

 
At July 10, 2012 at 11:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. The peanut sauce does sound amazing!

 
At July 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I really hate mayo, too, so I pretty much deemed slaws to be unappetizing - I never thought to try to make a slaw with a different kind of dressing. This sounds great! Thanks for sharing :)

 
At July 11, 2012 at 1:19 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

The peanut dressing sounds delicious!

 
At July 11, 2012 at 3:24 PM , Blogger Bill C said...

That cabbage sounds like Cuor di Bue Grosso.

 
At July 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

Ooo I love peanut butter soy dressings, such a great slaw idea Dara! Perfect summer side :)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How have I never had a slaw with peanut sauce? This sounds like the best idea ever.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Lori Lynn said...

The dressing sounds great. Like the name of your dish too.
LL

 
At July 12, 2012 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

combining slaw with peanut sauce is such a brilliant idea! love it!

 
At July 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, this must taste amazing! I made a Thai slaw a few summers ago, and now you've inspired me to make yours! YUM!

 
At July 13, 2012 at 5:01 AM , Blogger Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I love the peanut dressing my friend it is so delicious sounding and looking! Thai twist rocks :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

 
At July 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Oh my gosh Dara, this is gorgeous. I bet it tastes out of this world. Love the color, it just pops.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home