Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Kale Chips


It's no secret that I LOVE kale. This versatile cruciferous veggie is so nutrient dense and filling, it has become my go to salad green. I  keep some chopped up in my fridge at all times. Anyway, thanks to a suggestion by my awesome Grandma Jackie, I decided to make some kale chips. These are a simple and healthy snack you can serve or bring to holiday parties. You can use any type of kale to make chips, but I recommend lactino or dinosaur kale, which has a wider, flatter leaf than curly kale.

There are many variations you can create. I seasoned mine with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika, but I am envisioning many different flavor combos and themes. What I loved most about these chips is that they satisfied my craving for something salty and crunchy and were extremely low in calories.

Read more for the full recipe!

Ingredients:
1 large bunch Lactino or Dinosaur kale, washed with bottom 3" of stem chopped off
olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
cookie sheet


Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Wash and pat kale leave totally dry
3. Spray cookie sheet with a thin mist of olive oil
4. Carefully lay each piece of kale on the cookie sheet, be careful not to overcrowd
5. Spray kale with a light mist of olive oil (hold the can at least 8-10" away)
6. Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika
7. Bake 15-17 minutes, until crisped and slightly shriveled. Remove if they start to bu

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At December 14, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Shoutforfood said...

interesting.. i don't know what is kale.. will try to check it out in the supermarket.

 
At December 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

I have seen something like this before and have been meaning to make it. I am hoping it will be a delicious sub for the bad snacks, but will never know until I try-thanks for the reminder. Great post!

 
At December 17, 2011 at 12:24 AM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Mini-me used to love kale. She had it at my sister's or something and fell in love with it. I never tried doing the chips though. Cool idea for sure.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home