Monday, December 5, 2011

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies


Sometime you just feel like cookies. Right now I feel overwhelmed by cookies. Although tasty and beautiful, typical Christmas-type cookies don't really do it for me. I don't like a cookie that leaves a greasy residue on my hand or that is sickeningly sweet. I decided to make some today, I'm not much of a baker, as reader of this blog know, so it's rare I even have cookie making ingredients. But thanks to those tasty bacon cupcakes last week, I had all the necessities on hand. These are a simple, wholesome cookies that have no butter and minimal sugars/sweetners. They are not the sweetest cookie, but they are quite satisfying and pair beautifully with a cold glass of milk or a warm cup of tea. Whole wheat flour, oat bran and oats combine to make these cookies quite dense and filled with fiber. The honey and peanut butter lend a lot of flavor and olive oil and applesauce replace butter. These took about 20 minutes to make and yield a smaller batch, about 30 tablespoon sized cookies.

Full recipe after the jump


Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup oat bran
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (salt free if possible), I used chunky
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 egg
2 tbsp splenda brown sugar for baking (or 1/4 cup brown sugar)

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 325

2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, bran, baking soda, baking powder and salt

3. In another bowl, combine peanut butter, olive oil, vanilla, honey, apple sauce, egg and splenda

4. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold dry ingredients into wet, don't overmix

5. The resulting consistency should be dense and sticky

6. Using a tablespoon, scoop out small balls of dough and place on a greased cookie sheet

7. Be careful not to overhandle the dough

8. Scoop out all dough onto sheet - this recipe yields approximately 30 cookies

9. Bake for 9 minutes

10. Remove, cool and serve!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At December 5, 2011 at 11:44 PM , Blogger FoodEpix said...

Looks delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.

 
At December 6, 2011 at 12:30 AM , Blogger Christine's Pantry said...

I love peanut butter oatmeal cookies. I'd like a cookie with a glass of milk.

 
At December 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM , Blogger Amalia said...

I agree, the sugar cookies just don't really do it for me. I need something with actual flavor and heartiness. These are perfect! They look delicious and anything peanut butter I love! Great recipe :)

 
At December 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM , Blogger Sarah Lienard said...

Yum! These look delicious, and the fat in nuts is actually really healthy too! Love this recipe.

 
At December 7, 2011 at 12:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay - these look so amazing, super delicious and *sigh* I LOVE peanut butter! I appreciate that you used such healthy ingredients - I'm gonna have to make these!

 
At December 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM , Blogger Nava K said...

I like this version of cookies with the healthy ingredients and will be great start up in the morning but with coffee for me.

 
At December 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two of my favorite cookies in one? I die. These look great!

 
At May 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made these minus the oat bran & *YUCK*! I did use 2 tsp more baking powder to sub for baking soda but I don't think it would have made a difference. WAY too salty! I used Jiff Chunky but I dont think it would have mattered if it was salt free. I am sticking with my original recipe. Theres a reason you should stick with recipes that have 5 stars & reviews.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home