Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad


So, it's no secret that I LOVE Brussels sprouts. It seems about time that I created a salad with them. I decided to use roasted sprouts with some fresh spinach for a delicious and healthy Caesar salad. Cruciferous veggies have amazing health benefits and are packed with iron, vitamin A, and potassium. This is a really simple way to enjoy these veggies that has a ton of flavor without a ton of calories. Just add the Caesar dressing of your choice, I would recommend a light or low calorie version, creamy Caesar would smother the sprouts. Since the sprouts are roasted in olive oil, you only need a tiny bit of dressing to add flavor. Top with homemade croutons, some Parmesan and black pepper and you have a deceptively filling and tasty vegetarian meal.

Also: I joined the 21st Century today and opened a Twitter account! I am so excited to follow all my favorite bloggers and share things with my readers as well. You can click the follow link on the right sidebar or follow me at https://twitter.com/#!/GenYFoodie

Full recipe after the jump!


Ingredients:
1lb brussel sprouts, ends trimmed off
4 cup of fresh baby spinach, washed and chopped
1 tbsp garlic, minced
3-4 tbsp caesar dressing, (I use 365 Organic Light Caesar b/c it is tasty and has only 35 calories per tbsp)
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan, grated
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2-3 slices of bread (I used sourdough, but you could use a baguette as well), cubed
salt & pepper


Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 425

2. Using a sharp knife, slice each sprout in half and then shred by cutting each half into thin slices

3. After shredding all the sprouts, rinse in cold water

4. In a roasting pan or dish, toss sprouts with garlic and olive oil, season with salt and pepper

5. Roast sprouts for 20-25 minutes, until crispy

6. Spread cubed bread on a cookie sheet

7. Bake bread for 10 minutes, until hardened into croutons

8. Allow sprouts to cool slightly

9. In a large bowl, mix warm sprouts with spinach, croutons, dressing and cheese

10. Toss thoroughly

11. Serve immediately with black pepper

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At November 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dara - this is FANTASTIC! As you know - I like brussels sprouts and to put it in a salad is SO creative! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home