Sunday, November 6, 2011

Farro Salad with Roasted Vegetables



When Craig travels for work, I get to cook with some of the things he doesn't like. Tonight I decided to combine a bunch of those ingredients to make a simple and hearty fall dish. Farro is tossed with some tasty roasted veggies for a lean, filling and vitamin rich dinner. I chose mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini, but other veggies such as carrots, beets or sweet potatoes would work nicely as well. All you need is some olive oil, salt and pepper and you have an immensely flavorful dish that is light and easy to prepare.

Full recipe after the jump!






Ingredients:
1 cup farro, dry
2 medium tomatoes, quartered
1 medium eggplant, washed and chopped into 1" chunks
1 medium zucchini, washed and chopped into 1" chunks
1 cup mushrooms, washed and quartered (I used crimini)
1 medium onion, chopped into chunks
1 tbsp sage leaves, washed and chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp black pepper
Optional: Grated Parmesan

Step by Step Instructions:


1. Preheat oven to 425

2. Cook farro according to package directions

3. In a roasting pan, toss chopped tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, sage and olive oil

4. Season with salt and pepper and toss until coated

5. Roast veggies for 30-40 minutes, until softened

6. Toss cooked farro with veggies in the roasting pan, so that the farro soaks up the juices

7. Serve warm with Parmesan and fresh bread


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At November 7, 2011 at 3:01 AM , Anonymous Professor Vegetable said...

I don't know what farro is but if it is a vegetable I am sure I will like it. What is it? Great pictures and wonderful recipe!

 
At November 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Maggie said...

Oh, this looks divine! I love all the veggies in this, an farro is such an amazing grain...nutritious and delicious! I love your photos of this dish, very beautiful!

 
At November 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM , Anonymous Greg said...

Too funny, I almost bought this the other day after watching Lydia B. that Italian cook make a dessert with farro. Now I have two excuses to buy it next time.

 
At November 11, 2011 at 10:21 PM , Blogger Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Well - never too old to learn something new. Farro, eh?

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home