Monday, October 31, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings


So this weekend I was talking to my Grandma Jackie on the phone and she suggested I make chicken and dumplings for the blog. I've never made this dish, I've never even tasted this dish, but I decided to accept her challenge. She's a Brooklyn girl, but for the last decade or so she's lived down in Texas, so she wanted me to whip up some Southern comfort food. I was initially wary about creating my own version of this dish. I wanted to find a way to make it comforting and delicious without a ton of added calories and sodium. I compromised by cutting out butter, using lean chicken breast and low sodium chicken broth, and substituting whole wheat flour instead of white. To add lots of delicious flavor, I used fresh herbs. I also flavored the dumplings themselves with rosemary and black pepper.

I was shocked by how incredibly tasty and filling this dish was. It was simple to make and really comforting. The only thing I would do differently is to try and keep the dumpling size uniform. The dough was so sticky I had trouble getting them the same size.

Full recipe after the jump


Ingredients: Chicken
1.25lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes
3 medium carrots, chopped into 1" chunks
4 stalks of celery, cut into chunks
2 medium yellow onions, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp fresh sage
2 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp black pepper
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp whole wheat flour

Ingredients: Dumplings
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup skim milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp black pepper




Step by Step Instructions:
1. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil on medium heat, 2-3 minutes

2. Add chicken chunks and brown on all sides, 4-6 minutes

3. Sprinkle chicken with 1 tbsp flour and continue to brown

4. Remove chicken from heat and set aside

5. Add celery and carrots to onion mixture and saute for 5-6 minutes

6. Add chicken broth, herbs, salt and pepper, cover and simmer 8-10 minutes

7. Add chicken and 1 tbsp flour, add some more salt and pepper to taste, cover and simmer 15 minutes

8. In a mixing bowl, whisk together dumpling ingredients

9. Using a tablespoon, drop chunks of batter onto the chicken

10. Cover immediately, turn the heat up to medium and cook for 11-12 minutes

11. Dumplings will puff up and become firm to the touch when cooked through.

12. Serve

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - this is GREAT! I love dumplings...and I never thought to use whole wheat flour! Thanks SO much! Following you via Google Follower!

 
At November 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've had chicken and dumplings once and I was not a fan. This recipe however I could be a fan of! I love that you made it much healthier and you used some yummy herbs to flavor it Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home