Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Radicchio, Pear and Fennel Salad



I made this exciting spring salad for Easter and it was a big hit. Even my veggie-phobic little brother enjoyed it. Crunchy, flavorful and packed with vitamins, it is an impressive start to any meal. The sweetness of Bosc pears compliments the spice of the fennel and the bitterness of the radicchio. You can mix this salad with any type of greens. Here I used kale because I had it on hand, but field greens, romaine or Bibb lettuce would all work well. Because the ingredients are so flavorful, I dressed it with a sprinkle of olive oil and balsamic and a lemon wedge.

Radicchio, also called chicory, is high in antioxidants and neutralizes free radicals that cause cell damage. It is also filled with fiber, iron, phosphorous and zinc. Its dark red color indicates that it is high in phytonutrients such as lycopene, quercetin and hesperidin, which regulate blood pressure, lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of certain cancers.

Full recipe after the jump.

Ingredients:
1 medium head radicchio, chopped
1 head of fennel, sliced thinly
2 bosc pears, cored and sliced thinly
4 cups mixed greens, romaine or kale
1 lemon, cut into wedges
balsamic vinegar
olive oil

Step by Step Instructions: (makes 4 salads)
1. Toss radicchio, fennel and pear slices until mixed thoroughly
2. Plate 1 cup of greens and top with 1/4 veggie mixture
3. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste
4. Serve with a lemon wedge.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At August 28, 2011 at 3:58 PM , Anonymous Jeff said...

My favorite salad!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home