Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tortellini with Arugula Pesto


Every time I make tortellini I lament how I should do so more often. A sophisticated comfort food, these delicious cheese-filled pasta rings make for a tasty and quick dinner. Tortellini was invented in the region of Emilia-Romanga, and legend has it the pasta shapes were created to mimic the architectural features of many buildings in the city of Modena, which bear a popular turtle motif.

I was inspired to create a dish inspired by this central Italian region. I topped the tortellini with a pesto made of arugula, cannellini beans, and pistachios. I chose arugula for its light and peppery taste, a perfect spring sauce for this tasty pasta. The ancient Romans believed arugula was a powerful aphrodisiac. Arugula is low in calories and filled with fiber, iron, potassium, and vitamins A, C and K. I also included beans to add a creamy texture as well as protein and fiber and pistachios for a salty crunch. Finished with Parmagiano-Reggiano, a regional staple of Emilia-Romanga, this is a complex, tangy dish that you can whip up in only 15 minutes.

Full recipe after the jump.


Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1 12 oz bag Barilla Three Cheese Tortellini
2 cups fresh arugula, washed
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (plus more for topping)
1/2 cup cannellini beans, rinsed
1/4 cup shelled pistachio nuts
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
black pepper

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cook tortellini according to package directions

2. Puree arugula, garlic, cheese, beans and pistachios in a food processor

3. Slowly add olive oil and continue to puree

4. Toss cooked pasta with pesto and top with black pepper and cheese

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home