Thursday, April 21, 2011

Napa Cabbage Salad with Chia Vinagrette



Everytime I go to the grocery store, I contemplate buying some napa cabbage. The oval shaped and yellow tinged veggies always catch my eye. I decided to grab one yesterday and create a salad/slaw that highlighted this tasty and healthy option. I thought the crunch of the cabbage would pair well with the crunch of chia seeds that I planned to use in a dressing. The rest sort of came together with ingredients I had lying around. This is a very filling salad, you coul d add some chicken or shrimp and make it a meal.

Napa cabbage is also called celery cabbage or Chinease cabbage. It is easy to find in most grocery stores and farmers markets and is distinguished by its large oval shape and wide leaves. It can be eaten raw or cookd and adds a great crunch to stir fries and soups. Like other varities of cabbage, it's packed with vitamins A and C, and full of antioxidants and fiber.

Full recipe after the jump.
Ingredients:
1 medium head of napa cabbage, sliced finely
1/2 red onion, sliced
3 medium carrot, sliced into matchsticks or shredded
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp stone ground or dijon mustard
1/2 tsp honey

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Toss sliced veggies in a bowl, mix thoroughly

2. Whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, honey and chia seeds

3. Toss salad mixture with dressing and serve immediately

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home