Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Shrimp Po Boy with Spicy Remoulade


In honor of Mardi Gras last night, I decided to cook up a New Orleans style dinner. This is an untraditional take on the traditionally calorie and fat laden sandwich. Instead of fried shrimp, I sauteed them with garlic and onions for flavor. To make the creamy base for the remoulade, I used fat free plain greek yogurt instead of mayo or sour cream. This can be whipped up in 15 minutes and is a crunchy, spicy and flavorful dinner or lunch. Best of all, it's packed with filling protein. Having never been to New Orleans, I am not an expert on this type of cuisine. Love it? Hate it? Let me know what you think in the comments!

Full recipe and photos after the jump!

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5-6 minutes

Ingredients:
1 whole wheat baguette
1lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup red onion, sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch of kale leaves, ribs removed
1 medium tomato, sliced thinly
Cajun Seasoning

Spicy Remoulade:
1 6oz container plain fat free greek yogurt
2 tbsp stone ground mustard
1 tbsp fresh horseradish
1 tbsp hot sauce
Garlic powder
Smoked Paprika

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Mix together remoulade ingredients and refrigerate

2. In a medium skillet, saute garlic and onion until soft, 2 minutes

3. Add raw shrimp and cook until pink, 3-4 minutes

4. Slice baguette into 4 portions

5. Spread remoulade on both sides of baguette

6. Layer kale leaves and tomato slices

7. Top with shrimp mixture

8. Serve

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home