Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Superfood Facts: Cauliflower


I have never been a huge fan of cauliflower, but I promised my Grandma that I would make some recipes and give it a try. So, I decided to do some research and it is one powerful food! It is a member of the cruciferous veggie family, which makes it a cousin to my favorites, brussels sprouts and kale and is packed with cancer fighting nutrients! Grown in Italy and Turkey since 600 BC, it is now grown and enjoyed all over the world. Keep an eye out for some cauliflower recipes in the next few days.

Cauliflower health facts after the jump.

Some Cauliflower Facts:
  • Cauliflower aids the body is naturally detoxifying. It contains phytonutrients that help the body to rid itself of unwanted toxins. 
  • Cauliflower contains a broad spectrum of antioxidants, including Vitamin C and manganese, which help the body to avoid the development of cancerous cells. 
  • Cauliflower also had anti-inflammatory properties and contains high levels of Vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids, these compounds help to prevent disease and maintain cardiovascular health.
  • It is also filled with fiber, which aids in digestion. Additionally, scientists have recently discovered that the compounds in cauliflower also help to protect the lining of the stomach and controls the production of intestinal bacteria.
  • How to buy: choose creamy white cauliflower with tightly clustered buds. Heads that are protected by thick green leaves are better protected and will be fresher. 
  • How to store: uncooked cauliflower can be stored in the fridge in a plastic bag for about a week. Store stem side down to prevent moisture from spoiling the florets. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home