Saturday, February 26, 2011

Roasted Parsnips and Sweet Potatoes


I saw some parsnips at the store, and since I've never tried them before, decided to give them a try. Parsnips are a relative of the carrot, but have a different nutritional profile. High in potassium, B vitamins, folic acid, niacin, and fiber, parsnips have a rich, sweet and slightly spicy taste. They work well in soups and stews, but I decided to roast them with sweet potatoes for a simple, nutritious dish. I was blown away by the tasty complexity of parsnips, much more exciting than carrots. I urge you to give this winter veggie a try.

Recipe and photos after the jump.

Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
3 medium parnsips, peeled and chopped into 1-2" chunks
1 large sweet potato (mine was 2/3 lb), peeled and chopped into 1-2" chunks
1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp fresh thyme
coarse sea salt
black pepper

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 450

2. Chop parsnips and sweet potatoes

3. Toss with olive oil and thyme

4. Season with salt and pepper to your preference

5. Roast for 30 minutes, until edges begin to crisp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home