Monday, January 17, 2011

Superfood Facts: Quinoa

I discovered quinoa 5 years ago and am always finding new ways to incorporate it into my diet. I recommend cooking up a big batch and using it throughout the week.


Some great quinoa facts:

  • Pronounced Keen-Wah, this fabulous food is actually a seed, not a grain and related to the spinach family. It has been grown for centuries in South America, where it was a staple of the Incan diet.
  • It cooks and tastes like a grain and is a healthy alternative to other grains/carbs in your cooking.
  • Quinoa is a great source of both protein and fiber. It contains all 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. It is also an excellent source of magnesium, copper, calcium, phosphorous and zinc.
  • Quinoa is easily digested and gluten-free. 
  • It is sold in three varieties, white, red, and black. They are all nutritionally identical, with red having slightly more fiber. 
  • The best part about quinoa: it cooks in ONLY 10 minutes! 
Quinoa Links:

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home