Superfood Facts: Quinoa
I discovered quinoa 5 years ago and am always finding new ways to incorporate it into my diet. I recommend cooking up a big batch and using it throughout the week.
Some great quinoa facts:
- Pronounced Keen-Wah, this fabulous food is actually a seed, not a grain and related to the spinach family. It has been grown for centuries in South America, where it was a staple of the Incan diet.
- It cooks and tastes like a grain and is a healthy alternative to other grains/carbs in your cooking.
- Quinoa is a great source of both protein and fiber. It contains all 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. It is also an excellent source of magnesium, copper, calcium, phosphorous and zinc.
- Quinoa is easily digested and gluten-free.
- It is sold in three varieties, white, red, and black. They are all nutritionally identical, with red having slightly more fiber.
- The best part about quinoa: it cooks in ONLY 10 minutes!