Monday, January 17, 2011

Dangers of Non-Organic Potatoes

Wow... I had no idea.
According to Prevention Magazine, non-organic potatoes are especially dangerous to consume because the potatoes absorb the pesticides, herbicides and fungicides right out of the soil. Since these dangerous chemicals are directly absorbed, no amount of washing will make it safe to eat.

The Prevention piece quotes Jeffrey Moyer, chair of the National Organic Standards Board, who says "I've talked with potato growers who say point-blank they would never eat the potatoes they sell. They have separate plots where they grow potatoes for themselves without all the chemicals."

Non-organic potatoes may also contain traces of dieldrin and methamidophos. According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (a division of the CDC), dieldrin is a toxic insecticide which has been banned in most of the world, it is linked to Parkinson's disease, breast cancer, and immune, reproductive and nervous system damage. Yikes! 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home