Tuesday, January 18, 2011

World's Greatest Breakfast: Steel-cut Oats

This is a fast, easy and nutritionally complete breakfast that I make almost every day. Packed with protein and fiber it is quick, filling and comforting on cold winter mornings.



Steel-cut oats are a nuttier, chewier alternative to traditional rolled oats. Steel-cut oats are whole grain grouts, which are the inner portions of an oat kernel, which have been cut into three pieces rather than flattened. Because they are less processed than rolled oats, they have more fiber, nutrients, flavor, and take longer to digest, keeping you feeling fuller for a longer period of time. They're also rich in magnesium and selenium and help to stabilize blood sugar. Studies have shown regular consumption of whole grains is associated with a 26% reduction in the risk of Coronary Heart Disease.

Because steel cut oats take a longer time to cook. I recommend making a big batch and refridgerating for up to one week. In the morning, this healthy breakfast takes 1 minute to assemble and 1 minute to cook!

Full recipe after the jump!




Irish Steel Cut Oats:



Ingredients:
1/2 cup prepared oats (I cook these on sunday night and store in tupperware)
1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
1 tablespoon local honey
2 tablespoons raw chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon ground flax seed

Preparation: assemble all ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and enjoy!

Nutrition Info: One Bowl
337 Calories
Protein: 8 grams
Fiber: 9 grams







Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At January 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow this seems to be a playful and jubilant little breakfast. I know what my bowl will be filled with tomorrow.

Thanks Gen Y Foodie!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home