Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cuban Style Rice and Beans



Rice and beans is an ultimate comfort dish. In Cuba, this dish is referred to as Moros y Cristianos, which translates to Moors and Christians. The traditional preparation requires cooking with a ham hock and white rice. I decided to make a healthier, vegetarian version, that uses dried black beans and brown rice. The complex flavors come from the addition of a jalepeno, tomato paste and red wine vinegar. This version is low in fat and sodium, and bursting with healthy protein and fiber. It makes a great dinner and leaves plenty of leftovers for lunch!

Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients:
3/4 cup brown rice, dry
2/3 cup dry black beans, soaked (or 1 15oz can)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 cup low sodium vegetable stock
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Saute garlic, pepper, onion and jalepeno in olive oil on medium heat until soft, 4-6 minutes
2. Add tomato paste, vinegar, and chili powder and cook an additional 3 minutes
3. Add rice, beans and vegetable stock and cover
4. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low
5. Keep covered and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until rice and beans are cooked through and stock is absorbed.
6. Add cilantro and stir
7. Serve!


Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

At October 6, 2011 at 6:14 AM , Anonymous Ali said...

Looks delicious. Love the simplicity in preparing it, just mixing all them up. Cuban rice and Beans coming right up :)

 
At October 8, 2011 at 1:05 PM , Blogger lynn said...

these look simple and delicious! bookmarked!

 
At October 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM , Anonymous Stacie W. said...

This is a great dish. It is so easy to make and quite flavorful. It has earned a spot in my rotation!

So glad I found your blog!

 
At November 8, 2011 at 2:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANKS FOR THIS RECIPE,NOW I WILL NOT MISS IT ON HOLIDAYS ,A FAVORITE FROM MY LATE MOTHER IN LAW TO BRING OVER EVERY YEAR ,THANKSGIVING OR Christmas TO OUR HOUSE ,SHE KEPT THE SECRET AGAIN THANK YOU .JENN10

 
At January 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Daragh said...

Great recipe! Had all the ingredients to hand, so I said 'why not?'. Very happy I made it. Delicious and very filling. Thank you!

 
At February 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I haven't tried it yet, but I can say that it smells DELICIOUS simmering on my stove right now.

 
At February 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM , Blogger Hank said...

Looks delicious in the picture, but mine turned into a watery stewy looking mess. Too bad I had been looking forward to this all week.

 
At February 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Hank said...

Despite the consistency it didn't taste too bad...not sure the can of black beans absorbs any water so maybe reduce the amount of stock a bit if using the can of black beans. I think that is where things went wrong for me.

 
At February 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Hi Hank! The recipe was developed using dried beans which do absorb liquid. If using canned, then yes, the broth should be reduced and they should be added later in the cooking so they don't get too mushy. I appreciate you giving this a try!! Thanks for reading.

 
At May 5, 2012 at 3:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

All the colors are looking delicious, beside colors food taste can be feel. I am saying thank you with the help of my words.

Rice Importers

 
At June 22, 2012 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

When we were in Costa Rica last year, I fell in love with rice and beans, even eating it for breakfast. Can't wait to try this version!

 
At July 31, 2012 at 3:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Can this be made in a rice cooker?

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home