Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cranberry Bean and Farro Soup


Fresh, filling soup is a wonderful fall treat. I got the most beautiful cranberry beans at the farmer's market and decided to build a recipe around them. The tasty beans and nutty, chewy farro are fabulous in soup, as they maintain their texture and flavor well. This recipe makes enough that you will have ample leftovers for lunch.

Read more for the full recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup fresh cranberry beans, shelled and washed
2/3 lb hot chicken sausage, casings removed
1 cup dried farro
1 cup fresh kale, washed and chopped
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cups low sodium vegetable stock (chicken stock is fine)
1 tbsp dried oregano
salt
black pepper

Step by Step Instructions:


1. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil on medium heat until soft, 5 minutes

2. Add sausage and brown, breaking up into small chunks

3. Add farro and stock and oregano, cover and simmer on med-low 20 minutes

4. Add beans and kale, cover and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes, until farro and beans are cooked through.

5. Serve with parmesan and fresh parsley

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At September 29, 2011 at 10:03 AM , Anonymous Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen said...

I've never heard of cranberry beans before....I think I was half-expecting to see cranberries in the soup (silly me!).

 
At October 2, 2011 at 6:43 AM , Anonymous Ali said...

Wow, this is new to me, never tried cranberry bean soup before, looks promising. Love the photos

 
At October 5, 2011 at 7:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was great! I made with canneloni beans, no farro (couldn't find it after work) added some carrot and celery. Husband and I both loved it. Thanks :-)

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home