Monday, January 17, 2011

Quinoa Cakes

First Recipe: Quinoa Cakes




This is a multitasking recipe that can work as both a side dish and a main course. Since it take a bit of time to prepare everything, I suggest making a huge batch as I did and then making multiple meals out of it. You can easily freeze, or just bring for lunch.
Full recipe after the jump


Serving Suggestions:
I enjoy these with some hot sauce, but ketchup or other sauce can work as well. I plan on packing these with some kale salad for an energizing lunch tomorrow. 


Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes


Ingredients:


1 cup quinoa (I used 1/2 cup red quinoa and 1/2 cup white - use whatever you have)
1 large sweet potato (around 3/4 lb), peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
2 medium carrots, finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less depending on your taste)
salt and pepper to taste

Step by Step Instructions:
(makes 12 cakes)

1. Peel and chop sweet potato into 1/2" chunks

2. Boil sweet potato for 5-6 minutes, until fork tender

3. Mash sweet potato with potato masher or fork into small chunks, not totally smooth

4. Cook quinoa to package directions

5. In a medium sauce pot or dutch oven, sautee garlic, onion, carrot and celery until soft

6. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes

7. Add mashed sweet potato, stir

8. Add quinoa, stir

9. Remove mixture from heat

10. Add veggie broth, flour and flax seed

11. Mix vigorously and allow to cool

12. When mixture is cooled, form into cakes, I made mine roughly the size of hockey pucks, but can be smaller or larger based on preference. 

13. Place on greased baking sheet 

14. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes

15. Serve warm or cold


Nutrition Info: (my best estimations)
1 cake (my recommended serving size is 2-3 cakes)
Calories: 107
Fat: 2.6 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Fiber: 3 grams

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At March 31, 2011 at 2:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

how much veggie broth?

 
At March 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM , Anonymous Dara said...

Not much. Just enough to thicken the mixture up with the flour. I'd say 1/4 cup.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home